Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeWelcome to AA!Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A true mystery of a snail

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
PhoenixFyrewolf

PhoenixFyrewolf

A true mystery of a snail Empty
PostSubject: A true mystery of a snail   A true mystery of a snail EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 7:04 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is one of my snails, Io. I got her a few days ago to help my Golden Apple snail Sol (pictured in my avatar) keep my tank clean. Today I watched her give birth to a pair of babies ( a very interesting process to watch!)

I've been looking around online to figure out what kind of snail Io is exactly. I don't really trust the labeling on the tank at the shop where I got her (since every snail seems to be some type of "mystery snail") I've seen pictures online that look like her labeled as Japanese trapdoor snails or just as trapdoor snails but I'm not sure how accurate that is. A lot of what I've been reading says that trapdoors are pond snails and go dormant in hotter water. I keep my tank at a relatively toasty 78 F and she is way active. She is obviously is a live bearing snail.

I'm interested in knowing what she is because I want to know the gestation period (I'm curious how long she was pregnant before I got her) and really I just like knowing everything about the critters in my tank.

If anyone knows anything about what kind of snail Io is, or even has a guess, please let me know!
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: A true mystery of a snail   A true mystery of a snail EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 11:56 am

its sure looks like the trap door variety too me.i keep some inside in a few tanks as to enssure the survival of the colony since it gets really cold outside some years.they seem to breed more prolificlay for me once they have gotten to warmer temps..just not too warm.i dont heat the tanks that are inside and it gets to a similar temp as your tank 76.and they breed quite frequintly.if it is the trapdoor snail wild life and game have decided this year that they are no longer slaeable due to ther ability to become invasive in some parts"at least that is what i was informed at the beggining of this year"and it would only make sence to put em in with the mystery snails to keep sales on them OK.regardless they are way cool snails.
Back to top Go down
PhoenixFyrewolf

PhoenixFyrewolf

PostSubject: Re: A true mystery of a snail   A true mystery of a snail EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for the info! I think she is really neat. I wasn't expecting babies but it makes sense because I'm sure they are shipped in large groups and I know she was in a tank with about 10 others of her species. Ample time for her to erm...copulate lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A true mystery of a snail   A true mystery of a snail Empty

Back to top Go down

A true mystery of a snail
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Freshwater :: Freshwater Invertebrates-
Jump to: