Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeWelcome to AA!Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Looking for input

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

Looking for input Empty
PostSubject: Looking for input   Looking for input EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 5:25 am

I will be attempting to fix my 65/70 gallon tank tomorrow. Since the old inhabitants are happy in their new digs this is a blank slate aquarium. So just looking for some ideas. I currently have 3 dwarf shrimp tanks, 1 betta tank, 4 community tanks and 1 saltwater tank. If it were you what kind of tank would you set up and what type of livestock?

This particular tank has a custom designed and built under gravel system installed that keeps it virtually spotless, I cleaned it once in 18 months and the gravel didn't even have debris, and no algae ever. Was a perfect system until it sprung a leak.

Look forward to hearing the input Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

Title : I am the Walrus.

Looking for input Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for input   Looking for input EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 6:20 pm

From what I've read so far, most of your current fish seem to be on the smaller side.

Maybe a few medium-largish fish for the tanks rebirth?

I'm partial to cichlids myself Wink

What kind of aquascape are you considering? Or are you going to let your stock determine that?

Are you into treating your water to suit your fish, or keeping fish that enjoy parameters similar to your tap?
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

Looking for input Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for input   Looking for input EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 5:33 am

I will completly set it up to the fish i will keep the only absolute is black background and black substrate.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

Looking for input Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for input   Looking for input EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 11:25 pm

Black background + black substrate = good to showcase colorful fish.

I've had very good luck with rainbowfish in a 90g tank, though I have read that they do prefer a 6ft tank. Tell me what colors you like, and I'll tell you which kind of rainbowfish shows them off the best! They prefer a hevily planted tank, with a large swimming space in the middle and in the top. Though, plants don't do so good with UG filters because their roots eventually tend to clog the UG system.

If you've never had a cichlid tank, and want fish with a bit more character, a 65-70g tank is a perfect place to give them a try. African mbuna are nice because most of them stay under 6 inches, and you are actually supposed to overstock the tank to cut down on aggression, meaning a more active tank with more character than your average community, though it does also mean more tank maintenance. But they are about the most colorful fish you can get short of saltwater. South/Central American cichlids are good too, but tend to be a bit bigger, meaning fewer per tank, and it's a bad idea to overstock with them. Again, if you're interested in cichlids, let me know colors or behaviors you're interested in, and I can make some recommendations. Most cichlids don't get along with plants, and most prefer a rocky aquascape and sand substrate, though sand also may not be so good with a UG filter, but they can do ok with gravel as well, they just don't act as naturally.

I like to keep at least one pleco in every one of my tanks, specifically ancistrus (bristlenose plecos) in tanks between 40-100g. They only get to around 6", and I have a soft spot for their whiskers. They're also much more social than most smaller plecos. I haven't seen my clown pleco in well over a month!

I'd stay away from clown plecos, rubberlip (bulldog) plecos, striped raphael catfish, khuli loaches, and other fish (usually bottom feeders) that tend to hide away most of their lives, because they contribute to bio-load but you rarely get the chance to enjoy them.

I'll give you any more ideas as I think of them!
Back to top Go down
finsandfeathers

finsandfeathers

Looking for input Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for input   Looking for input EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 12:28 pm

I agree with Rick - an african tank would be awesome - even if you did a male show tank since they are the most colorful with so many choices you literally could have a rainbow!!
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

Looking for input Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for input   Looking for input EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 5:42 am

So after talking to lots of people and the feedback on here I agree I should do a cichlid tank. was thinking a second saltwater but the custom plumbing on this one just wouldn't work well with all sand. Sand over course lava rock should do ok though. I used to have a pelvicachromis taenatis nigerian red that I dearly loved so might do that route. Going to plant heavy for new tank. Any sugestions on good easy plants?
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

Looking for input Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for input   Looking for input EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 1:11 pm

The type of plants depends on the other types of cichlids you plan to keep, if any. If you're just doing kribs, your options are wide open.

A few questions before making any suggestions:

What kind of lighting are you using?
Are you going to dose ferts?
Are you going to use Co2?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Looking for input Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for input   Looking for input Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for input
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum