Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeWelcome to AA!Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

Title : I am the Walrus.

Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank Empty
PostSubject: Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 11:18 pm

Dimensions: 48"x 12"x 24"
Gallons: 60
Filtration: Rena Filstar XP4
Heating: 300w Fluval M Series
Lighting: 192w Dual Coralife Aqualight Power Compact Strip with 1 6500k + 1 50/50 bulbs
Substrate: Black gravel capped with Caribsea Tahitian Moon Sand
Aquascape: Bogwood, Mopani wood, resin decor
Plants: Ludwigia repens, anubias nana, java fern, red melon sword, red tiger lotus

Stock List:

4 x Thorichthys meeki (Firemouth Cichlid)
3 x Herotilapia multispinosa (Rainbow Cichlid)
2 x Archocentrus sp. Honduran (Honduran Red Point Cichlid)
2 x Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus longfin (Longfin Albino Bristlenose Pleco)
2 x Crossocheilus siamensis (Siamese Algae Eater)
7 x Otocinclus vittatus (Oto)
11 x Paracheirodon axelrodi (Cardinal Tetra)

Pics:

Still workin' on it...
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

PostSubject: Re: Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Collected some pics from the tank. Don't have a full tank shot yet, but I figured I'd better hook you up with some finnage anyway!

Thorichthys meeki (Firemouth Cichlid)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(This Opaline Gourami was only a temporary visitor to the tank, and the two of them used to love posturing. The Firmouth would puff up, then the gourami would slap him across the face with his feeler back and forth until the Firemouth backed down. That's as violent as it ever got, lol)

Archocentrus sp. Honduran (Honduran Red Point Cichlid)

Newest pic:

Older pics:

Herotilapia multispinosa (Rainbow Cichlid)
These guys took a few weeks to adjust to their new surroundings and color up, but it was so worth the wait!

When first introduced:

Yesterday:

Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus longfin (Longfin Albino Bristlenose Pleco)
Pics are a couple months old, they're much bigger now, and beginning to get their bristles

Otocinclus vittatus (Oto)

...and I lied, I do have a full tank shot, but it's old. Most of the aquascaping is different and the plants are much bigger these days. But here you go... for now...

Back to top Go down
FishVixen

FishVixen

Quote : 2000 gals and I want more!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 7:55 pm

and how long has this tank been set up? you still have all your oto's! Amazing with that mix someones not floating.
Back to top Go down
Fern

PostSubject: Re: Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 8:04 pm

Watch the plecos fins, not sure on the temperament of those cichlids but anyone nippy seems to target the long finned bristle noses and pick them to death.
Ya moving the ottos would probably be a good idea too.
That's a very very nice aquascape! Never seen pics like that of rainbow cichlids! Makes me want some!
Back to top Go down
http://fishaddicts.forumotion.com/portal
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

PostSubject: Re: Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 8:26 pm

The tank has been up since February of this year. The two larger Firemouth, the otos, the cardinals, and the plecos are the original occupants.

All the fish were added as juveniles, and I did a lot of research to come up with this combination. I haven't lost a fish yet due to aggression. Eventually, once the cichlids begin reaching their full sizes, I'll be moving the otos and the cardinals to my 90g community tank. I'll also be rehoming 2 of the Firemouth once a couple hopefully pair off. Possibly my 3rd Rainbow Cichlid as well, depending on whether or not my male decides to rotate between females or not. So far the plecos are doing ok. They got nipped just a little at first by Firemouths that seemed curious more than anything else, but everyone gets along fine now.

And I don't have all the otos I began with, but their deaths were the result of contracting calamanus worms from infected ghost shrimp I got at a local bog box store. I lost 2 of my original 7. I also lost my two beautiful German Blue Rams. Nearly impossible to treat effectively, actually had to use the farm livestock dewormer "Levamisole" in incredibly small doses.
Back to top Go down
Fern

PostSubject: Re: Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Yup know that worm well, cost us along $200 to treat it a few months ago, levemasol is what we used too.
As long as you have plans for the little guys once the other guys grow!
More tank shots!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://fishaddicts.forumotion.com/portal
Nycky

Quote : Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.
Title : ειρηνευτής

PostSubject: Re: Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 11:35 pm

That is an awesome tank! love the Rainbows!!!!
Back to top Go down
NPTAloha

NPTAloha

PostSubject: Ludwigia   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 7:06 am

I love how healthy your Ludwigia are. They're sending down roots from every node all the way up and they're super waxy. Do you inject CO2?
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

PostSubject: Re: Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 5:17 pm

I use Co2, root tabs, Flourish, and at that point was using Flourish Excel as well.
Back to top Go down
NPTAloha

NPTAloha

PostSubject: Re: Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Update with pics! I just bought some Red Tiger Lotus off Aquabid, I want to see how yours progressed.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

PostSubject: Re: Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Give me a few weeks. I just did a major trimming on my red tiger lotus. Need some time for it to grow back out a bit before posting pics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank   Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank Empty

Back to top Go down

Rick's 60g Planted South/Central American Cichlid Tank
Page 1 of 1