Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeWelcome to AA!Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

Title : I am the Walrus.

WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank Empty
PostSubject: WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank   WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 8:21 pm

I'm looking for a 20 lb Co2 tank at a decent price.

If you've got one, or know someone or somewhere that does, I'd appreciate a heads up!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
NPTAloha

NPTAloha

PostSubject: Me too   WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 5:28 am

I'm looking for a 20lb too.

If someone was willing to browse junkyards I bet they could make some money selling 20lb CO2 tanks. I hear you can find them there, but I've never tried. They're going for somewhere in the $200 range at Aqua Serene (Crazy!).

My plants are doing fine without it, but they'd go nuts if I upgraded my lights and got a decent CO2 system.

Aloha.
Back to top Go down
NPTAloha

NPTAloha

PostSubject: Me too   WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 5:28 am

I'm looking for a 20lb too.

If someone was willing to browse junkyards I bet they could make some money selling 20lb CO2 tanks. I hear you can find them there, but I've never tried. They're going for somewhere in the $200 range at Aqua Serene (Crazy!).

My plants are doing fine without it, but they'd go nuts if I upgraded my lights and got a decent CO2 system.

Aloha.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

PostSubject: Re: WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank   WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Industrial Welding Supply Company has them for less than most places, but I'm in no rush so I'm waiting for a better deal to come along.

That junkyard idea is interesting. I would never have thought to try and find Co2 tanks there
Back to top Go down
NPTAloha

NPTAloha

PostSubject: BUYER BEWARE!!!   WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Be very careful when buying CO2 tanks online (Craigslist). I recently bought three CO2 tanks from one seller on Craigslist. My intention was to flip two of them and use one to boost my plant growth. Turns out, welding supply and gas supply outlets WOULD NOT FILL THE TANKS!

Be on the lookout for any tanks may have previously been owned by vendors.

Be wary of any tanks with even a hint of blue paint on the outside. These may have been pepsi tanks and gas suppliers are not supposed to exchange or fill these tanks. Also look for any vendor stamping. These stamps are in the steel at the top of the tank and may be covered by stickers as was the case with my first fill attempt ("PEPSI" under the CO2 gas label sticker). Any tanks with a new coat of spraypaint (to cover the PEPSI blue paint) will be scrutinized more thoroughly.

My second and third tanks were not painted over, but they did have a vendor stamp hammered out and were rejected for filling.

Also look for the date of last hydrotesting. This will be a month and year number stamped onto the top of the tank. The guy who sold them to me said they had all been recently tested, which was true, but I didn't know how to check.

All said and done, I called PEPSI to find out if best case, they would fill them for me, or worst case, if they would dispose of them for me (can't throw co2 cylinders in the trash/recycle). PEPSI said the tanks may have been stolen and that they wanted the phone number of the guy who sold them to me (the seller works for the company who hydrotests the tanks). I told them that I should probably give him a call first to try to resolve it before getting him in trouble. I called him back, told him about PEPSI wanting his name and number, and that I wanted the problem resolved. He paid me back in full only 30 minutes later! He also gave me a free full vendor stamped tank from the hydrotesting company and put me on a list of people who get rental fees waived (I only pay $16 when I want it refilled!)

I posted pictures of all the tanks. There is one tank with noticeable blue paint (worn off over decades of use), one tank with a fresh coat of black spraypaint and a rubber hub stand around the bottom (also a dead giveaway of a vendor tank), and another tank with the PEPSI stamp hammered out and enough blue paint to warrant scrutiny. All three tanks were unable to be filled. Notice the CO2 stickers (placed over the vendor stamp/hammered out area).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just to show my rad plants...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

PostSubject: Re: WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank   WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up!

Sounds like that guy has quite a racket going on there!
Back to top Go down
NPTAloha

NPTAloha

PostSubject: Re: WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank   WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Turns out, his boss (manager of the hydrotesting company) wanted the old tanks out of the back of the warehouse and told his employee (the seller) to post them to Craigslist. I came away from the ordeal thinking that neither the manager or the employee thought they were doing anything wrong, but once they found out they were, they jumped at the chance to save their butts and resolve it.

Either way, I came out way...WAY ahead in the whole exchange - free full vendor CO2 tank with discounted refilling fees.

Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

PostSubject: Re: WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank   WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Ah, I see.

Either way, you made out like a bandit, lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank   WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank Empty

Back to top Go down

WTB - 20 lb Co2 Tank
Page 1 of 1