Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeWelcome to AA!Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

ram fry, no infusoria

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Christople

ram fry, no infusoria Empty
PostSubject: ram fry, no infusoria   ram fry, no infusoria EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi all, my rams had babies and surprised me. I put a brine hatcher up for my krib fry, but normally I'd do infusoria. Will mashed up egg yolk, live bbs, even smaller than normal first bites.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ram fry, no infusoria   ram fry, no infusoria EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 2:40 am

Congrats on the fry!

I've been using frozen baby brine shrimp and spirulina flake crushed into a fine powder for my Rainbow Cichlid fry, and they're doing great. I've been considering a BBS hatchery if they continue to spawn on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
https://aquaholicsanonymous.forumotion.com
Christople

PostSubject: Re: ram fry, no infusoria   ram fry, no infusoria EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 1:19 pm

My filter just deystroyed my spawn, I went from hundreds to maybe 20
Back to top Go down
Christople

PostSubject: Re: ram fry, no infusoria   ram fry, no infusoria EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 1:32 pm

the parents went beserker and attack every thing, and no the remaining 20 are hiding in the moss, we'll see how this turnd out but, when my parents get back for their anneversarry I will get a sponge filter
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

Title : I am the Walrus.

PostSubject: Re: ram fry, no infusoria   ram fry, no infusoria EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 3:10 pm

What I did for my filter is to buy a cheap pair of pantyhose, cut a leg off, and attach it to my filter intake with a rubber band to hold it in place. It works amazingly well! Just make sure to get the sheer kind, and not just knee highs, as they are too thick. Also be sure to do plenty of water changes, not only because water quality is so important for the fry, but because the filter is no longer pulling the larger gunk out of the tank while the pantyhose are on it.

Check inside your filter for any fry that may have survived.

And yes, cichlid parents are known for getting crazy when defending their offspring. Even the seemingly peaceful dwarf species like rams! Many are also known to eat their babies, though I don't know how common it is for rams specifically. The best thing to do if you're trying to maximize the survival rate of your fry is to provide them with their own growout tank.
Back to top Go down
Christople

PostSubject: Re: ram fry, no infusoria   ram fry, no infusoria EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 5:15 pm

i checked the filter, no fry, BUT about a hour later, after eating corndogs, I checked in on them and still have about 100. I think some of the fry may have found their ways out. I did do the panty hose thing as soon as I saw them getting dominated but the filter intake, I like to watch the way the rams shepard their fry around the tank so i leave them in there. I am looking into making a grow out tank with a foam box, coating the inside with silicone and MAYbe putting a veiwing part in the side with a glass panel. with a sponge filter and heater and then just do regular water changes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ram fry, no infusoria   ram fry, no infusoria Empty

Back to top Go down

ram fry, no infusoria
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Freshwater :: Freshwater Fish :: Cichlids-
Jump to: