HomeWelcome to AA!CalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

A nice suprise

Go down 
AuthorMessage
fishfanatic

PostSubject: A nice suprise   Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:25 am

As I have been paying a lot of attention to my tanks lately since the demise of my 70 gallon, I have been doing a lot of cleaning and rearranging in the 7 freshwater aquariums I have up and running. I think I finally got everyone situated for now so I can work on getting the tank fixed. So, while playing musical tanks I decided to get inventory numbers on my shrimp populations and give them a good cleaning to fight the ever present ramshorn snails. The blue pearl shrimp are starting to look real nice, I have been culling regularly they are really showing a nice blue color now. They have always produced very well for me and have never had problems with them. The red cherry shrimp on the other hand.... When I first bought some I got 6. After a couple of months with no shrimplets I obtained another 5 from a friend though only 4 made it home due to my nieces stepping on the bag Sad So now there are 10. After a few weeks and about 4 deaths I purchased another 5 and made sure I had a pregnant female. At this point I am ready to give up. I have been having such great luck with the blue pearls but I can't get the reds to breed - what the heck. So I give up on them, I lower the temp to 74 down from 80 don't feed as regular as the other tank and really kind of just ignored it. The next time I checked on it at regular cleaning time it is just chock full of little cherry shrimp. Whopee!! So it has been off and on some die offs and then surge of babies but I never thought they were over crowded. They also produced some of the reddest cherries I have ever seen.

[url=[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url

Long post today ..... Hang in there the best part is comming.

I decided to give it a very good cleaning caught as many visables as I could find, they just kept comming and comming. The tank is black backed with black rock. There were about twice as many shrimp as I thought. I put them all in a white plastic tub as I cleaned and didnt pay too much attention to it, but set it on my bathroom counter. About 30 minutes later I take a good look at the tub so I can start catching and counting shrimp and got a shock.
Nearly half of the shrimp in the holding tub were blue. Not brownish or greenish or ice blue like my blue pearl shrimp but very blue. Even the blueberry shrimp I have that are supposed to be cobalt colored are not this blue.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

I used my last backup tank to separate the 42 blue ones from the red cherries. It is looking quite possible that I have true breeding blues now, but I guess only time will tell. Will keep everyone updated.

~Now if my blueberries would just start producing~
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
Fern

PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise   Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Those are some very red cherrys!
I got a nice little surprise from my tigers the other day, I'm getting some with a nice blue tinge to them!
Back to top Go down
http://fishaddicts.forumotion.com/portal
Nycky

Quote : Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.
Title : ειρηνευτής

PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise   Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 pm

Amazing Shrimp, I have yet to try anything but ghost shrimp!
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

Title : I am the Walrus.

PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise   Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:00 pm

I don't know much about shrimp, but I know what I like. And I like the look of those shrimp!
Back to top Go down
Fern

PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise   Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Look on there Wink Oh yes I am a bad influence Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://fishaddicts.forumotion.com/portal
Chrispy

PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise   Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:13 am

Wow thoes are gorgeous!! I may have to read up on keeping shrimp those are neat.

Thanks for the link. I have no experience keeping shrimpbut that site has lot of info I may have to give it a try.

Is a !0g big enough to start some Cherry shrimp? I assume they are relativley plant friendly.
Back to top Go down
Corleggy

PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise   Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Wow now I want some shrimp!

Anyone know if there are any local fish stores that sell the cherry red or blue pearl shrimps? I really like the look of these and was hoping to avoid shipping or $10 a piece. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
NPTAloha

PostSubject: Willing to trade or sell?   Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 am

Congrats on your blues! I'm only keeping Amano's right now (and whatever ghosts I have from my original N cycle).

I finished cycling my heavily planted shrimp tank about a month ago and have yet to decide on a breed or breeder. I was thinking about getting CRS from Orfisherhunter (on aquabid) from Corvallis. He's got some high quality CRS but he wants "internet" prices.

Would you be up for selling some of your blue culls or trading for some plants? I've got Hygrophila, Ludwigia, Cabomba, Bacopa, some Vals, and a couple of swords up for grabs. My Green Gecko Crypts will be ready to thin in a couple weeks if you're interested in those.

Either way, congrats on your breeding. It sounds like a blast!

Aloha

Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise   Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:46 pm

just as a heads up i know Orfisherhunter and his shrimps have never disapointed,but as you mentioned does not give a whole sale discount.if you knwo you are going to really be in the breeding game then i recomend grabbing at least a few from him as they are of some of the nicest lineage.if you just want a tank full of shrimps that you will cull yourself to leave only the atractive ones then just grab some cheap males and females and call it good...............just a word of advise.
Back to top Go down
NPTAloha

PostSubject: Orhunterfisher   Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:50 pm

His shrimp are definitely nice, and he seems to do pretty decent business on Aquabid, but he asks for prices HIGHER than his winning auction bids. It just seems like his wholesale/pickup prices should be cheaper than his winning bid/shipping extra prices. I'm mostly just jealous - he's got some gorgeous shrimp.
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise   Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:16 pm

i can only say i agree with you on both acounts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A nice suprise   

Back to top Go down

A nice suprise
Page 1 of 1