Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeWelcome to AA!Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
stevie-ray

stevie-ray

anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... Empty
PostSubject: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 1:43 pm

any spare Chaetomorpha out there? i have a new tank that could use some macro, any kind will do. thanks
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

Badxgillen

anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... Empty
PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:53 pm

i got some for yah..were are you at?ahhh eugene..if your this way i will give you some chaedo morpha..and i have several others i could part with..including halimeda,prolifera,serrulata,and some feather calaurpa.i love talking reef so drop me aline.
Back to top Go down
stevie-ray

stevie-ray

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:15 pm

[quote="Badxgillen"]i got some for yah..were are you at?ahhh eugene..if your this way i will give you some chaedo morpha..and i have several others i could part with..including halimeda,prolifera,serrulata,and some feather calaurpa.i love talking reef so drop me aline.[/quot

sweet, thanks. im a student and am always looking to barter, or smoking deals.lol... next time i head that way ill give you a heads up, and hopefully we can connect. . i found some at a lfs, but i could always use a greater variety. im new to the marine setups, but im catching on quick and reading everything i can get my hands on. i have a 72 gal bow front, with 80lbs of live rock, two common clowns and a fire goby. im running a fluval 404 that has everything striped out of it then filled with busted up live rock. i also have a protien skimmer made from two water bottles and a walmart air pump..lol. everythings low and stable.. for now.. im looking for a cheap overflow box so i can run a diy sump. i built a diy wet/dry in the sump, thats also filled with live rock chunks. i built a diy overflow out of pvc pipe;that didnt work very well..lol. so im looking for a new one. i use my fluval as a return pump for my sump to the main tank, but untill i get a good over flow; or drill the back. its just runing normal over the back of the main tank. i have pics, but for some reason am having problems uploading?? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], thanks again..
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:34 pm

i am sure we can work something out..i always have something new and i tend to kind of collect so i should have a macro algae that you dont have at some point...are you going to do reef or fish and live rock.i will help you if i can..i am a little seasoned in the aquatics so let me know.
Back to top Go down
stevie-ray

stevie-ray

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Badxgillen wrote:
i am sure we can work something out..i always have something new and i tend to kind of collect so i should have a macro algae that you dont have at some point...are you going to do reef or fish and live rock.i will help you if i can..i am a little seasoned in the aquatics so let me know.

i have about 5 different species of coral. im not sure what kinds. they were given to me by someone on craigslist. after they started too grow i began fraging them and spliting them apart so they wouldent sting eachother over space. they are all growing strong and ready to be fraged again for trade or sale. im going for reef and havent lost anyone yet. its been running since aprill and nothing has spiked since then. the lr im using came from an established tank off craigslist.
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 12:10 am

nice can you post a pic maybe i can ID some..and i always like to trade.
Back to top Go down
stevie-ray

stevie-ray

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 2:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
72gal

diy skimmer(it pulls dark thick skimmate) but i want to upgrade..

the last pic is my diy sump i built. looks a little crappy but it works fine. my problem was my diy overflow.
diy over flow (junk)...lol

i know the pic suck,lol.. its all i got for now, my camera was left behind at a relatives house in vegas..
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 5:25 pm

i love a good DIY i have a number..i may have to make one of those skimmers and put it to the test.it apears to be collecting alot of nasty so it must be working.i was just reading an artical that talks about wet and dry skimming and its rather interesting that each one has its pros and cons..but as long as it is skimming its helping.i kinda need one right now and cant aford it..thanks for the pics..and you got a lot of rock in there.is the macro for your sump.
Back to top Go down
stevie-ray

stevie-ray

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 1:06 pm

yeah the pretty macro goes in the main tank then the ugly stuff goes in the sump. theres some Halimedain there, its ugly, ive been using it since i started the tank. i have collected as much rock as i could, everything i read says one pound per gallon. the skimmer is made from two vitamin water bottles. the pic of the one in the sump is my trial run at it. the pic of the black skimmer in the main tank is the second one i built. the vitamin bottles work great because of their shape. then if you cover it where the cap screws to the bottle its harder to tell its only a water bottle.lol.. the only problem im having is with the surface. im currently not surface skimming, so it has accumulted quite abit of residue. i ordered one that connects to my fluval, its on its way from china as we speak. it should be here in a week or so. after ajusting the skimmer it pulls dark skimmate. i use two redsea wood air stones. i got the idea from google searching diy skimmer. anytime i see equipment i could use i run a diy search on it. i want to make a reactor and fill it with the NpX Bio-Bead. then make the reacter pump the water to a 10gal tank above the main tank thats filled with macro and mangrove. then use a hang on back skimmer.that way all of my filtration will be on display. if i run it this way it will most likly turn to a fowlr, but i will rarly have to do a water change. i dont know anyone that has used this method and have seen very little pics of something like this. here are the beads in action..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by stevie-ray on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stevie-ray

stevie-ray

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 2:01 pm

do you know of any good diy overflows? what do you use? drilled? i want to drill my tank but its pretty thick, it would be sketchy..
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

Title : I am the Walrus.

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:29 pm

I know nothing about saltwater, but I do know that the most important thing in drilling a tank (or any kind of glass), is to be absolutely sure that it's not tempered glass. You probably know this already, but I just wanted to mention it, better safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
stevie-ray

stevie-ray

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Yeah, i havent done it myself yet. but have read about drilling on tempered glass is a no no. even if its not im still to chicken to do it myself.
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 11:10 pm

i have both drilled and hang on back overflows..both work but if you go with a hang on back you should invest in a aqua lifter to start your siphon and keep it running...even some of the best DIY and manufatured overflows ocasonaly need assistance..the aqualifter will prevent most of that..
Back to top Go down
stevie-ray

stevie-ray

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 11:53 pm

ahh i see, they use a pump to auto re-start the syphon when the flow stops. thats a nice fail safe addition to the overflow. im gonna have to pick one up in the fall. thanks for the info.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bootsnws

Bootsnws

Quote : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reef-Aquarium-Dreams/358850974127298

PostSubject: Macro algae....   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 6:19 pm

I have macro coming out of my ears if you want some hit me up.
Back to top Go down
http://reefaquariumdreams.yolasite.com/
Badxgillen

Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 12:43 pm

what type?....i have a number but am lacking red ogo.
Back to top Go down
Bootsnws

Bootsnws

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:43 pm

i have very little of that but i have a ton of cheatomorpha coming out my ears. all my other algaes are kinda being choked out by it actualy.
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 12:07 am

well i have been looking for the red ogo for some time so if you could spare even a pinch i would be interested.i am positive i have something to trade you back in return for the macro.i have several types that you coulld use to replace the chaedo.do you have a pic of the macro so i can verify?
Back to top Go down
Bootsnws

Bootsnws

PostSubject: red ogo   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 6:00 am

i have very little that will only grow in one place in one of my refugiums, right before the return drop on my CPR refugium it grows. occasionally it will get caught on my koralia pump in the main display and grow, next time it does i may hit ya up and kick it your way. it seems to only grow by high flow its weird.
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:48 pm

alls i need is a strand. let me know yeah. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...   anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short... Empty

Back to top Go down

anyone know where a guy could get some macro algae??? i have been serching our LFS and keep coming up short...
Page 1 of 1