Share | 

Holy crap, eggs already???

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Syklyd
Admin

Title : I am the Walrus.

PostSubject: Holy crap, eggs already???   Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:28 pm

My rainbow cichlids have just laid eggs for the first time. I've had 2 females for about a month and a half, and just brought home a male 3 weeks ago. I heard they reproduce like convicts, but didn't think it would happen so quick! I only just rearranged the tank 2 days prior! I think the heat yesterday may have triggered the spawning, as my tank reached around 83 degrees before I was able to get my air conditioner installed.

Here are some pics:

The happy mother
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Mind your own business!"
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My question, is what to do about the filter intake. The eggs are about 3 inches from the intake tube of a Rena Filstar XP4 that pulls up to 450 GPH from that corner. I'm thinking perhaps some kind of foam that I can put around the intake tube until the fry are clear, but don't know where to find something like that. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:36 am

intake sponges that are sold at Local Fiash Stores...matila fiber that is cut to fit ...or a sponge filter...congrads on the eggs.hope things work out as i would like to grab some from you in the future..
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:13 am

I'd never seen just an intake sponge before. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, don't have the money to get an entire sponge filter right now. But the sponge filter wouldn't solve my problem in this tank anyway, as I'd still have to leave the XP4 running. Would be nice to have one for the 10g they will hopefully end up in.

And I feel like a complete dumbass... I just got a new 20sq ft. roll of filter floss from Big Als delivered today, and it never crossed my mind to just wrap it in that, lol
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:39 am

99 cent pair of women's nylons work good too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:00 pm

I couldn't find 99 cent nylons, prices started at $5+, where I looked anyway. It's ok though, I bought a couple of cheap intake sponges meant for the fluval edge system, that I was able to make fit on my equipment.

I have a new question now, as I'm new to breeding cichlids. The eggs were moved to a pit by mom, and have since hatched into little wrigglers. From what I've read, they should be free swimming 5-7 days from hatching (this Friday-Sunday). I have a 29g growout tank all set up and ready for them to move in, but I have no idea at what point I should move them! I would think that once they're free swimming, it would be more difficult to catch/siphon them, but I don't want to do it before they're strong enough to survive the move.

Is there a general rule of thumb here? I'd really like to have as many survive as possible, so that I can help get them to hobbyists in the area, as they are not found at any of the stores locally.
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:05 pm

hmmm havent done those cichlids inparticular..but pelvichromis,brichardii,octofaciata,labedochromis,geophagus,and even the dwarfs such as mikrogeophagus and apistograma can all be siphoned off pretty early on in life to a grow out tank with the same water perameters with a pretty high succes rate.as you pointed out they are better with a little parental care at first..i believe you will have to use your best judement as far as timeing goes..i have found with many of these cichlids temperature as well as fedding can play a significant role in size and development within the juvinile period of the fishes lives wich in turn effects durability.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm planning on warmer water in the low 80's, lowering for high 70's as they get bigger. And plan on feeding frozen baby brine shrimp, crushed cichlid flake, and crushed spirulina flake at first. Once they are big enough, I plan on feeding regular frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, as well as cichlid and spirulina flakes. From what I've been able to gather on the web, this should work out well.

I'll start another thread about this eventually, once they've grown out a bit (I don't really see a need for one now, except that I'd like to gauge interest), but if anyone is interested in any of these beautiful cichlids, I'll hopefully have many of them available within the next few months.

There are no stores in town that carry these guys, and I don't know any local hobbyists or breeders that do either. I was quoted $30 ea. at a local store that said they might be able to special order them from their supplier, who might also have to special order them from their supplier, and even then I never heard back from the shop. I was able to find them in Portland for a FAR more reasonable price, and would be re-homing them at a very reasonable price as well.

Their lack of availability is surprising, because they're small and less aggressive than most other cichlids (aside from dwarfs), quite hearty and adaptable, and breed so easily and readily. Great for those with smaller tanks, or who are just starting out with cichlids. I'm hoping to get them into local hobbyist tanks, and maybe even an LFS or two in the area. It's a shame not to see them around here!
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 pm

its quite often availability that drives up prices..even if the fish is realativly easy to breed and colorful if it isnt readily available its big bucks...just like the red point i have mentioned in another thread..i purchased them for $5 from a overflow from a local breeder...now that they are gone and so is the breeder its harder to find them so now my LFS wants 10-20 for each of them..i hope you are succefull in this breeding project as i would like to see more of these cichlids bred in the area..i cant wait for you to post some up i may have to make room for one or two if you still have some when the time comes..i am sure you will.
Back to top Go down
finsandfeathers

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:38 pm

I've never worked with these either but when it comes to free swimmers I let them raise them for a while either until the parents are looking to spawn again or they are big enough to catch with a small net JMO

Down the road when they are ready may have a few people that would like some, I'll double check with them.
Back to top Go down
Nycky

Quote : Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.
Title : ειρηνευτής

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:50 pm

From everything I have read, they are able to self raise until they are ready to spawn again, again this is read, I dont have any history with this particular, However if you are willing to ship I would be interested in a few when they get big enough!
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:09 pm

I ended up pulling them once they were free swimming. Thought about letting the parents raise them a little longer, but I've got several other cichlids as well as a couple of plecos in the tank, and didn't want to risk them becoming lunch. Still have 30 or so that I missed yesterday that I need to go back in and transfer over today.

I ended up syphoning them out with a gravel vac into a 5g Homer bucket, then dumping that into the 29g growout. Worked really well. I think I'm going to attempt netting these last few though and see how that goes.

Altogether, easily 100+ from this first spawn, so I'll have a ton available. From what I've read, I should expect the same thing every few weeks like clockwork.

I'll gladly ship them, though I'll need to look into supplies and methods, as I've never shipped before. No worries though, I will thoroughly research proper handling before sending anything out. If any of you experienced breeders have any shipping tips, I'm all ears!
Back to top Go down
finsandfeathers

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Rick - I'd be glad to help you - ship fish out almost weekly with great success even in the middle of winter to Montana middle of nowhere
Back to top Go down
Nycky

Quote : Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.
Title : ειρηνευτής

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:56 pm

I have gotten Shipments From Finsandfeathers before, She really knows her stuff!
Back to top Go down
Chrispy

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:45 pm

I too would be interested in a few of these when ever you are ready to let them go. I have gotten many orders from Rapps and Ken Davis in the past that were only about 1/2in long, at under an inch fish ship very well. When ever they reach that size i would love to grab some from you.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm actually here in Eugene, so shipping wouldn't be an issue if you're interested Chrispy. They're far too small right now, but it won't be long before they're big enough for local people to be able to come get some in person.
Back to top Go down
Fern

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:16 am

I may be interested as well, yes Fins will help you out with shipping, her and I do massive trades all the time!
Back to top Go down
http://fishaddicts.forumotion.com/portal
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holy crap, eggs already???   

Back to top Go down

Holy crap, eggs already???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Freshwater :: Freshwater Fish :: Cichlids-
Jump to: