HomeWelcome to AA!CalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

AqAdvisor - A very helpful tool for beginning aquarists!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Syklyd
Admin

Title : I am the Walrus.

PostSubject: AqAdvisor - A very helpful tool for beginning aquarists!   Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Here is a link to a very helpful site for those new to keeping fish.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It allows you to input the size of a tank, the filtration type, and a stock list that allows you to input the size of the fish. Then it will give you a summary of the setup, along with any warnings or recommendations. Really a great tool for beginners, especially when it comes to compatibility and stocking levels. It's fairly strict, and experienced aquarists often disagree with it based on their personal experiences, but it's a great "better safe than sorry" tool for freshwater newbies with no experience.

Here is an example of a summary that provides some much needed warnings about the setup:

20 Gallon Tall Tank
24"x 12"x 16"
19.9g US

Selected Species:

1 x Bala Shark (Balantiocheilos melanopterus)
1 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
1 x Bumble Bee Cichlid (Pseudotropheus Crabro)
1 x Common Pleco (Pterygoplichthys pardalis)

Warning: Bala Shark is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches.
Warning: At least 5 x Bala Shark are recommended in a group.
Warning: Neon Tetra may become food for Bala Shark.
Warning: Bala Shark is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.
Warning: Bumble Bee Cichlid is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.
Warning: Bumble Bee Cichlid is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 5 inches.
Warning: Bumble Bee Cichlid is not recommended to be with Bala Shark - mbuna species should not be mixed with other groups.
Warning: Bumble Bee Cichlid is not recommended to be with Neon Tetra - mbuna species should not be mixed with other groups.
Warning: Bumble Bee Cichlid is not recommended to be with Common Pleco - mbuna species should not be mixed with other groups.
Note: Common Pleco needs driftwood.
Warning: Common Pleco is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 18 inches.
Note:
You have selected mbuna species. These species in general, need to be
overstocked to control aggression (over 100% stocking level). Make sure
your filtration is sufficient and keep up with water changes. (Read more about beginner mbuna species [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]).
Warning: At least 5 x Neon Tetra are recommended in a group.

Warning: At least 5 x Bumble Bee Cichlid are recommended in a group.
<li>Warning:
Your selected species may eventually require 480% of your aquarium
space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try
removing some of (Balantiocheilos melanopterus, Pterygoplichthys pardalis) or get a larger tank.</li>

Recommended temperature range: 73.4 - 80.6 F. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Warning: Water pH requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
=> 6 - 8: Bala Shark
=> 5.5 - 7.5: Neon Tetra
=> 7.6 - 9: Bumble Bee Cichlid
=> 6 - 7.5: Common Pleco
Recommended hardness range: 10 - 15 dH.

Warning: You NEED to add more aquarium filtration capacity!!!

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 20%.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!

Your aquarium stocking level is 233%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

PostSubject: Re: AqAdvisor - A very helpful tool for beginning aquarists!   Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:31 am

I also am a frequent user of aqadvisor, I find that it is extremely helpful when figuring out your tanks. I can't say I always follow it but it's pretty good advise none the less.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AqAdvisor - A very helpful tool for beginning aquarists!   Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:36 am

I do too, just as a general tool. I overstock a bit, and my water changes are larger than they recommend, but it still helps me get a feel for where my tank is at.
Back to top Go down
PhoenixFyrewolf

PostSubject: Re: AqAdvisor - A very helpful tool for beginning aquarists!   Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:49 am

Neat site! It seems to lean towards conservative setups, but for a novice I don't think that's a bad thing.

I plugged my setup in just to see what it would say. It warned me that the glo-lite tetras needed to be in a group of 5 or more and that they could outgrow the tank. Same with my khuli crowd. It also warned that bettas tend to need lids (I don't disagree there) and that they may become stressed with too many shoaling species.

The tetras like being a pair. I don't know if I got a pair of weirdos or what but I did have three to start with and the other two picked the third one to death. I started off with one Khuli and read somewhere that having at least 3 was best so I picked up two more. They seem to have a great working relationship with each other and have made their home in one of the faux-plants. They are all active and thriving. As far as Leonard betta goes, he seems to be the low stress type lol. I got my tank set up last fall and he was a bit food aggressive towards the tetras at first but now he doesn't pay too much attention. Then again he has never acted like a typical male betta. He doesn't even display when you put a mirror up to the tank. He just stares at it with this seemingly perplexed look as if he is thinking"really, what is this supposed to do?" He is otherwise interactive, however. His interesting behavior is why I got him in the first place, I suppose.

Sorry for rambling!
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AqAdvisor - A very helpful tool for beginning aquarists!   Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:00 pm

Ramble on! That's what we're here for Smile

As far as the tetras go, the reason they recommend keeping them in larger groups may be because of them picking off 3rd wheels, as was the case in your tank. When there's a larger school, there's more distraction, and less attention is devoted to picking on a single fish.

I used to have a trio of khuli loaches as well. I miss those guys, they were always so fun to watch when they came out to play.
Back to top Go down
Link

PostSubject: Re: AqAdvisor - A very helpful tool for beginning aquarists!   Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:02 am

The other part of the Tetra aggression might be gender, if you have two males and one female that can cause some aggression. Happened to me and my tiger barbs when I first got them, on the plus side I can now determine tiger barb sex much better than the people at the pet stores.

Also, if someone is a member of the Aqadvisor forum, would you mind requesting they add [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]? I have one in my tank and would like to put it in there (so they can tell me I need more than one in my tank), but I don't care enough to join the forum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AqAdvisor - A very helpful tool for beginning aquarists!   

Back to top Go down

AqAdvisor - A very helpful tool for beginning aquarists!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Freshwater :: Freshwater Newbie Corner-
Jump to: