HomeWelcome to AA!CalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Need Help Sexing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caveman

PostSubject: Need Help Sexing   Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi everyone, I just joined today and I already need your help. I went to a fish store a few days ago to buy a pair of convict cichlids. Unfortunately the person helping me did not know how to tell them apart, and being new to cichlids, I did not either. So to be sure I just had him get me four and I figured I would just give away two of them after a pair formed... Now I'm think I may have been given four females. I have read that female convicts develop an orange coloration while males do not. All of my fish have at least some orange, but I still think one could be a male. The largest of the four (it is not very much larger than the rest) is highly aggressive toward two of the other fish, but social with the second largest fish (which is clearly a female). They swim together with limited chasing and do not let any of the other fish swim at the bottom of the tank (the other two fish hide in the top corners of the tank all of the time). The large fish has somewhat longer fins than the rest which can indicate it is a male, it is also not nearly as round as the other fish, and it has a very small amount of orange on it as well. The fish with more orange in the pictures is the second largest fish that I think is a female, while the other one that has a very small amount of orange (you may not even be able to see it in the pictures) is the one I am confused about. Is this a pair forming or just two females that are getting along because of their similar size? Thanks in advance for the help.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

Title : I am the Walrus.

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Sexing   Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:35 pm

As far as I know, the only way sex convicts is by checking the bellies. Only the females will have an orange belly. Unfortunately, all the ones in your pictures look like they're females.
Back to top Go down
Caveman

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Sexing   Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:01 am

Thought so. It really is not that big of a deal, I just wanted to know if I needed to get a male or not. Now I know. Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Sexing   

Back to top Go down

Need Help Sexing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Freshwater :: Freshwater Fish :: Cichlids-
Jump to: