HomeWelcome to AA!CalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Clean Up Crew Recommendations

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Link

PostSubject: Clean Up Crew Recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:54 pm

I'm looking at adding some scavengers to my tank to help curve my over feeding habit (I'm working on it). Right now I'm thinking either some combination of Java and Kuhli Loaches or a couple of Cory Cats. My tank so far is barbs and two Honduran Red Points. Anyone have any thoughts? Anything else I should be looking at?
Back to top Go down
Chrispy

PostSubject: Re: Clean Up Crew Recommendations   Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:03 pm

I love clown loaches they are some of the most entertaining fish to watch and keep. It depends on the size of the tank though as I would consider three to be the minimum group size and they do get larger but only after YEARS. Cories are coo land Pictus cats are about as "out and about" as you can get when it comes to catfish.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

Title : I am the Walrus.

PostSubject: Re: Clean Up Crew Recommendations   Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Keep in mind that any fish that you get with the purpose of being a "cleaning crew", are going to excrete more waste than they clean up, so while they may solve your overfeeding problem, you'll end up with more ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate (the things that make overfeeding dangerous in the first place), and as a result the tank will require more maintenance on your part to keep it healthy and clean.

It's very hard to underfeed a fish. Most can go days or even weeks without any food at all if they're healthy. I would work on trying to not overfeed, before looking at adding another fish.

That being said, if you're willing to put in the extra work to keep the tank maintained, I highly recommend catfish, plecos, & snails. Not as a clean up crew, but just because they've got such cool personalities. I wouldn't recommend a clown loach though unless you have a very large tank to accommodate a group of them, with very few other fish in it. We're talking 100g + easy to keep a group of 3.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy

PostSubject: Re: Clean Up Crew Recommendations   Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Clowns get big but it takes the better part of a decade to hit the 6-8in mark. That's a lot of time to save up for another tank. I have also had very little issue finding new homes for the larger ones as they are very desirable to HUGE tank owners that don't want to wait said decade. I have sold groups of 3 and 5 in the 6-8in for for $100-$150 in the past and they were on aquabid for less then 24 hours.

If you want a fun fish that can hang with anything that can't eat it whole. You won't be disappointed.

Yes they do get huge but it takes a LONG time. Realize these fish can live for 50+ years.
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Clean Up Crew Recommendations   Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:45 pm

i like both schools of thought on this but i must say i agree with syklyd as more fish equels more waste.clowns also like to be in groups so an addition of several would be in order.not that i am saying you cant keep em singly i am doing it right now but if it can be avoided it should be.also they are ich magnets so dont let the temp drop to low as this causes an entree for the parasites.also mine have grown from 1 inch little guys to 4 inch guy in about 2 years wich is a real slow growth rate but i do believe that this growth can be accelerated or slowed down do to water conditions and diet.long story short is take all this input in....digest it and make the call..they are sweet loaches but remember there are alot of other loaches out there.burmese border loaches come to mind as do lochatas.
Back to top Go down
Link

PostSubject: Re: Clean Up Crew Recommendations   Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies. For the record, I wasn't considering the Clown Loach since I know my tank is far too small for a proper school of them. Has anyone had any experience with snails and Honduran Red Points? I've read that some ciclids will attack snails, is that one of them? Also, how much salt in the water is too much salt for a snail?
Back to top Go down
NPTAloha

PostSubject: Best clean up crew for overfeeding.   Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:55 pm

The best clean up crew for overfeeding, hands down, is a mass of plants.

They feed on undigested and digested fish food, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and they look great. They also take up excess nutrients that may cause imbalance algae blooms.

All my tanks are algae free except for some occasional green dot algae on the glass. Food for thought.

Or you could feed your fish less food.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clean Up Crew Recommendations   

Back to top Go down

Clean Up Crew Recommendations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Freshwater :: Freshwater Fish-
Jump to: