HomeWelcome to AA!CalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Link's 37 Gal. Tank

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Link

PostSubject: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:37 pm

I have a 37 gal. tank decorated with a couple pieces of driftwood, an anubis plant, a rock, and a castle. Fish include: two green tiger barbs, three tiger barbs, a Honduran Red-point ciclid, and a clown barb who is currently in time out because he's a jerk.

I also have a 10 gal. medical tank with another Honduran Red-point ciclid who had a huge patch of scales missing (which I believe is the result of the clown barb). She's recovering nicely for the size of the wound.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

Title : I am the Walrus.

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:31 am

Glad to hear your HRP is recovering nicely. I've got a pair of them as well, that are just now getting to the point where they will stand up to the other fish in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Link

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks, we're glad she seems to be coming around too (though she's been through two series of Furan treatments and is starting her second melafix treatment). This is really my first success with treating a sick fish without them just dying on my so I'm quite pleased.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:52 pm

In my experience, fish are very hard to bring back to good health. Lots of water changes, and making sure that any medication you use is appropriate for the sickness and dosed properly is key. Exposing a fish to medication it does not need, or too much medication, will usually just stress it out more. And that will often lead to death as opposed to recovery.

I can't stress the water changes enough. There's no other single thing you can do to improve the health of a fish than keep the water clean for them, regardless of whether they're sick or not.

Anyway, here's to a speedy recovery! Smile
Back to top Go down
Link

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:34 am

Sad to report the loss of our clown barb. Likely cause of death is fungus.

Edit: As his last act he took our largest and oldest tiger barb with him by eating off his back fin and part of his lower rear.
Back to top Go down
Link

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:39 am

Good news everyone! I am back to running a single tank. That's right, my second HRT has recovered sufficiently to be reintroduced into the main take. I also added a new cave to the tank so that each HRT has a cave to hide in if the so choose. Hoping that she continues to improve, I'll keep posting as news happens.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:13 pm

Glad to hear it!
Back to top Go down
Link

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 pm

News was premature. Apparently since they were last in the tank together the other HRT has found his aggressive streak. The previously injured HRT is now back in her own tank without her tail fin and missing a few more scales. She's doing fine and she's still healthy but it would seem that she is on her own for the duration.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:35 am

When you put the injured HRP back into the tank next time, rearrange the decor in the tank, especially any area that the dominant fish has claimed as it's territory. It disrupts the hierarchy in the tank. It doesn't always work, but hopefully it will help.
Back to top Go down
Link

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:45 am

Yeah, I rearranged the whole tank and added a new cave like structure in addition to the castle that the healthy HRT had taken over. No such luck.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Ah, that's too bad. What are you thinking about doing once she's healthy again?
Back to top Go down
Link

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:22 am

Not sure yet. Probably just keeping her in her own separate tank and maybe throwing a few Kuhli Loaches in there with her.
Back to top Go down
Link

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Well, the trouble of what to do with her is solved. Seuss, the other HRT, mysteriously died a few days ago. No symptoms of trouble until the day before, he became generally lethargic and started opening and closing his mouth repeatedly. Seuss was discovered the next morning dead in his castle. My other HRT is still in the medical isolation tank but will likely be moving into the main tank after I make sure the main tank isn't contaminated. All 4 remaining tiger barbs and corry cats seem fine.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:49 pm

Be very careful. It's not normal for a fish to mysteriously just die like that for no reason. Do you have a water test kit?
Back to top Go down
Link

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:50 pm

Yep, all water levels normal or within the safe range. Very mysterious.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 am

Have you checked the other fish closely for signs of infection or parasites? I just worry that unless you can figure out what caused the one fish to die virtually overnight, others are likely to follow.
Back to top Go down
Link

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:04 am

I've checked over the other fish, there are no external signs of trouble. They're eating well and have good color. I might go ahead and treat for internal parasites, we'll see how the next few days go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Link's 37 Gal. Tank   

Back to top Go down

Link's 37 Gal. Tank
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Clubhouse :: Tank Profiles-
Jump to: