Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeWelcome to AA!Latest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jane.Dempsey

Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans? Empty
PostSubject: Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans?   Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Hey looking to buy Texas cichlids and/or Jaguar cichlids soon. Nautilus in Springfield has Tex/Blood Parrot hybrids, but they're pretty small so I don't know how they'll look (not a big fan of the blood parrots shape but love their intense color). I saw pet time had a pretty big Jag but he's $70. Thought it might be cool to get them as babies and watch them grow and change. I think petsmart has some of both, but not sure if fish do well from there? I've heard of them being pretty sickly considering their tanks are all connected? That may all be hearsay, but better safe than sorry. I'm open to suggestions of other south/central american cichlids that are interesting to watch or have a nice color/pattern as well.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

Title : I am the Walrus.

PostSubject: Re: Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans?   Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Blood Parrots are of an unknown origin, but are commonly said to have parrot and texas cichlid in the bloodline, along with one other species that escapes me. So if you don't like the parrot shape, you may want to stay away from the ones you saw at Nautilus, though I'm no expert on how the genes all work out in crossbreeds.

I've seen the jag at Pet Time, and agree, $70 is just too much for a freshwater fish, if you're willing to be patient and raise one from a juvenile. If someone is just looking for a big fish right now, however, it might be worth it to someone.

Petsmart has always been decent for cichlids in my experience with them, but I also add rift lake salt to my cichlid tanks to better duplicate the conditions in Lake Malawi, and salt happens to be a natural remedy for many conditions that are said to be found in the Petsmart tanks. If you plan on quarantining the fish before adding it to your main tank (which I highly recommend), or using cichlid salt, I wouldn't worry much about it. The quality of their selection often leaves much to be desired though. I have some beautiful Firemouth from Petsmart, but I waited until they had them at the level of quality I wanted, rather than just buying them because that's what was there when I wanted fish. Patience is everything in this hobby!

I like Firemouth cichlids. It's the whole neck flap thing, it just adds another dimension to the character and attitude of the fish, but they may be too small for what you're trying to put together. I honestly don't have too much experience with SA/CA fish, aside from Firemouth, HRP, and Rainbow cichlids, due to the fact that my CA/SA tank is only 60g and heavily planted, so I had to find smaller, plant friendly fish.
Back to top Go down
Cichlid Fan

Cichlid Fan

Quote : "Livin the Dream"
Title : Guppy

PostSubject: texas/parrot babies   Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 8:12 pm

I actually am the one that sold the Texas/blood red parrots to the Nautalis in Springfield - some of the babies are turning out amazing - color wise - some are dark with the blue spots - but some are lighter, white with orange and yellow patterns..........I also agree about the body shape of the Parrots being odd in some cases - however - my parrot is very nicely shaped and her babies are turning out to be similar. I will try to get some photo's up as soon as I have some time. I have babies still from that very hatch.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin
Syklyd

Title : I am the Walrus.

PostSubject: Re: Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans?   Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 9:22 pm

How much did you get for them? Once my Rainbow Cichlids are a bit bigger, I was hoping to take some in to The Nautilus, even if I just get store credit.
Back to top Go down
Cichlid Fan

Cichlid Fan

Quote : "Livin the Dream"
Title : Guppy

PostSubject: Re: Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans?   Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans? EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 8:28 pm

I just did some trade for them. I wasn't in this breeding for making $$ I just traded like couple bucks each towards supplies/food.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans?   Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anywhere local have Texas or Jaguars (Managuense) or cubans?
Page 1 of 1