Share | 

Quality Fish Food?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Syklyd
Admin

Title : I am the Walrus.

PostSubject: Quality Fish Food?   Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:49 pm

I recently learned that my source for high quality fish food at reasonable prices is no longer in business. Does anyone know of a good source?

I know New Life Spectrum is revered by most, but it's a bit spendy. I'm also trying to stay away from the heavily processed, mostly fish meal based foods you find in most pet stores, like Wardley's, TetraFin, Omega One, etc.

I'm looking for a tropical food, a SA/CA cichlid food, and a spirulina based food.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Quality Fish Food?   Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:34 pm

omega one is good in my book and i dont see any fish meal just good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quality Fish Food?   Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Omega One is actually what I usually use as far as pet store food is concerned, and what I'll probably use in the meantime, but the stuff I got from Aquarisms was so much better. My fish loved it like it was crack, and after a few weeks of using it, the difference in their color was amazing, and has been ever since. Not to mention, it was also cheaper.

I've been considering the food from Kens Tropical Fish. The price is even better than Aquarisms was, and the variety is great. I've heard good things about it on national forums, but does anyone here have any experience with it?
Back to top Go down
Chrispy

PostSubject: Re: Quality Fish Food?   Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:59 pm

I have been feeding my fish Ken's stuff for years now. It is pretty good stuff though I don't think it is NLS good. However it is far from NLS prices either. I load up various different formulas and sizes every year or two. I may have spent as much as $40 last year and still have PLENTY left (I had numerous tanks set up for most of that time too). Ken also has great customer service and will almost always add in some extra stuff for free or samples of other items. He is also the cheapest place for large sponge filters I have found.

If you go to his site you can see exactly what he puts in all his foods as the ingredients are listed for each item. So you can decide for your self, but I recommend him based on his service and price.
Back to top Go down
BettaMomma

Quote : Betta's are like potato chip's, cant have just one.

PostSubject: Re: Quality Fish Food?   Wed May 02, 2012 2:28 am

All my fish LOVE nls I don't know where you guys are buying from but I get mine at petco its 9.99 for the Betta formula at the lfs but only.6.99 at petco
Back to top Go down
finsandfeathers

PostSubject: Re: Quality Fish Food?   Wed May 02, 2012 11:20 am

Have you tried KensFishFood? he's got a wonderful selection where I buy all my food anymore since my local source became too much of a hit and miss thing. Several of my cichlidiot friends use them as their source for fish food too
Back to top Go down
Badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Quality Fish Food?   Wed May 02, 2012 12:30 pm

ascrispy has stated the kens fish foods are a good buy for there price, but it is not the prime.i personaly think that making your own is the best route but that is usualy beyond the effort most people will exert.so a combination of some of the better staples allong with the added bonus of a high quality species specific diet is ideal.of course live foods and fresh vegtable matter are always a highly sought after food in addition.
Back to top Go down
Syklyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Quality Fish Food?   Wed May 02, 2012 1:31 pm

That's why I got mine through Aquarisms. It was a hobbyist that made his own fish food, and never got big enough to be anything more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quality Fish Food?   

Back to top Go down

Quality Fish Food?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Freshwater :: Freshwater Fish-
Jump to: